Monday, June 29, 2009

Peligroso: Top Secret Race Preparation Underway

Before I get into the race report and eventual result of said race, I thought it might be interesting to disclose some of the Mountain Mist Cycling Teams top secret race preparations.

Since my body was not really prepared for the SERC # 8 at Raccoon Mountain I thought I might make sure my bike was ready. I had two concerns with the bike, my fitness is a concern too long to get into right now. First concern, the extermely narrow width of my new flat bar set up. Solution, buy another bar, can't commit to that right now so problem ignored. Second concern, to eliminate the absurd creaking going on in the bottom bracket area of the Kidney Shaker.


The creaking in the bottom bracket area of the Kidney Shaker would prove to be a pivotal element in Sunday's race. Since I had already removed the new Niner EBB (that designed by NASA engineers to be mute) and cleaned it thoroughly after DSG the only other source of the creaking would have to be the bb cups themselves. When I installed the bb cups I greased the threads thouroughly so I was skeptical that this was the problem. Just to be sure I removed the Chris Bling bottom bracket cups to reveal still moist and pristine, uncontaminated grease. Just to go the extra mile (I don't mind going the extra mile figuratively) I wrapped the threads with teflon tape. I have always had quiet bottom brackets and when I haven't I have always solved the offensive creaking with this application. Well the creaking is still there and I am sure now it is the new not so silent EBB. I think my bb shell is a little out of round from the old EBB so I can not totally blame the new one. I can just blame the old style for not allowing the new style to work.

After not correcting my two concerns I decided to just go over the details of the Kidney Shaker to check for any other potential issues.

Pre-flight inspection:



Cockpit..........CHECK!


Anterior softening device...........CHECK!


Mid engine rotating propulsion arms.........CHECK!


Posterior propulsion mechanism..........CHECK!

Everything else seemed to be in order with the exception of a very sketchy sidewall on the rear Maxxis Ardent I am running. The threads are showing through the sidewall and a few are tearing in one spot in particular. Hopefully it will hold up for one more race. Since my fitness is not where it usually is at this time of year and I have not solved any problems with my bike I feel pretty much like usual going into this race. Great, just a typical day at the office.

Full race rapport next post.

No comments: